James Garner’s start to his second loan stint of the season – this time at Nottingham Forest – has been welcomed be Man Utd and Notts fans alike.
Forest may have lost their previous game 1-0 but Garner played all 90 minutes, his fourth game in a row. He has quickly impressed at Forest and has United fans hoping that he may stake a first-team claim when he returns to Old Trafford next season.
The most likely outcome for Garner is to secure a Premier League loan if he continues to impress at Forest, which would give him the necessary top-level experience he needs before he is asked to slot in at Man Utd.
However, if United see sufficient improvement in the player and aim to replace Nemanja Matic with Garner, it could mean a very fast promotion to the starting XI.
All of that is still premature – Garner has three more months to prove himself.
James Garner at Nottingham Forest – Highlights
- Liverpool loanee Harvey Elliot equals Jack Grealish’s best Championship season
- Big plans for Sunderland’s path back to the Premier League
- Why Blackburn was the perfect move for Liverpool’s Harvey Elliott
- Man United’s triple Derby raid and the Rooney connection
- Arsenal and Everton interested in Max Aarons